Monday, November 17, 2008

Chocolate Oatmeal Carmelitas

I was introduced to Dulce de Leche when I was in Honduras. The family that I was living with would always make Dulce de Leche cake when it was someones birthday. The cake was so gross and soggy, and whoever's birthday it was got raw eggs smashed on their head (a Honduran tradition), so it also always smelled like raw eggs. Anyway, I haven't liked Dulce de Leche since, however, my friend really likes it, so for her birthday I tried this recipe that I found on Recipe Girl because it has Dulce de Leche in it, and was surprised because I really liked these bars.
Now the recipe says to "dollop" the Dulce de Leche onto the bar. But I discovered it is too carmely, so it doesn't really "dollop" and instead it made a huge mess. Next time I try this recipe, I will probably just try putting a hole in the can and drizzling the Dulce de Leche from the can instead, and not add the flour 3 TBS. flour into the carmel. This is a make ahead recipe, not one you can eat right out of the oven. You can find the Dulce de Leche in the Mexican Food section of the grocery store.


Chocolate Oatmeal Carmelitas

3 C. + 3 TBS. flour, divided

1½ tsp baking soda

½ tsp salt

4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, softened

3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats

2¼ cups light brown sugar

1½ cups (16 ounces) dulce de leche

1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

¾ cup chopped pecans

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x13-inch metal baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk 3 cups of the flour with the baking soda and salt. Add the butter, oats and brown sugar and mix until combined. In a small bowl, mix the dulce de leche with the remaining 3 Tbsp. flour.
3. Pat half of the oat mixture into the baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Scatter half of the chocolate chips and pecans over the crust. Dollop half of the dulce de leche mixture on top. Crumble the remaining oat mixture evenly into the pan. Cover with the remaining chocolate chips, pecans and dollops of dulce de leche.
4. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the edges are set. Let stand, uncovered at room temperature overnight. Cut the carmelitas into bars and serve.

2 comments:

Mysticnocturne said...

Looks really good!

Anonymous said...

I gotta try these!
Marintha